Saturday, July 16, 2016

Oslo History

We spent today discovering old Oslo! 

We started at the Domkirken, Oslo's cathedral.





My great great great grandparents, Augustinus Arnesen and Caroline Johannesdatter, we married here in 1855! Caroline Johannesdatter and her oldest daughter, Avilda Arnesen, were both christened here as well.



I loved the paintings on the ceiling. They are fairly recent, 1950s I think, but they're lovely.

On the right is Moses and on the left the Tower of Babel. 

On the left is Lot and his wife.



Augustinus Arnesen, Caroline Johannesdatter, and their family. My great great grandmother, Mary Magdalene Arnesen is the little girl on the far right.

We also went to the Trefoldighetskirken, or the Church of the Holy Trinity. This is where my great great grandmother, Mary Magdalene Arnesen, was christened in 1861. It was closed, so we only got to see the outside.







We also went to the Royal Palace where the King and Queen of Norway live. Caroline Johannesdatter worked as a maid for the Queen of Norway before she married Augustinus Arnesen, but I'm not sure if she worked in this palace (it was completed in 1849).





During WWI, the palace grounds were plowed and planted with potatoes. How cool is that?
We ended the day by going to the Akershus fortress and castle, which has no connection to my family history (that I know of), haha. It was constructed in the late 1200s.









We saw a few trolls around the castle!



It was a full, and fun, day! May I also mention my exquisite chocolate covered Belgium waffle? And also, Quintana's cute little vintage Norwegian white bibbed dress? ;)




The end! More next week!







No comments:

Post a Comment