Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Old Oslo

This morning was supposed to be a lovely morning meandering through old Oslo, visiting historic houses and seeing the graves of famous Norwegians. Instead Quintana Roo screamed the whole time and now I'm tired and want a nap and donuts.

I got a handful of pictures in between crying fits! Haha. I guess we were due a day like this, as I think in general the kids have done really well.

This church was built in 1100, one of the oldest in Scandinavia, and it is still in use.

We walked down a historic street lined with beautiful old wooden houses. Edvard Munch, painter of The Scream, lived in the green one.


We also walked to the cemetery where there are several famous Norwegians buried. We saw Henrik Ibsen's grave, one of the most prominent playwrights in history. I've been rereading The Doll House lately, knowing Ibsen was from Oslo.



The pouty girl herself


We tried to find Edvard Munch's grave but could not seem to find it. He died during the Nazi occupation of Norway, so he was buried without much pomp and circumstance.

I particularly liked the headstones marked with natural stones, moss growing on them, looking like they have always been a part of Norway.



That was as far as we got before giving up and coming home!

Yesterday after dinner I took the kids on a little hike in the woods around our neighborhood. We are so close to the city, and yet could walk and walk and walk and not see streets or houses or other people. It was so lovely!


This made me think of the ending of The Giving Tree


And then, at about 11:00 last night, we saw the sunset and the half moon over the Oslofjord from our window.


I know some people wanted to see our house here in Oslo, so I made a little video of where we are staying. I didn't video the inside because it's messy, but the outside and the neighborhood are fun to see.








No comments:

Post a Comment