Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Mummified Monks

Today we went to the Capuchin Museum and Crypt, which focuses on the Capuchin order of Franciscan monks. Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed, so I just pulled some off the internet.

My only photo

The museum has artifacts from the order and a lot of information about their practices. I liked seeing the monk's robe and learning about its meaning.


I also loved the original Caravaggio paintings there, including one painted of St. Francis that was painted by Caravaggio as a gift to the Capuchin order. It is just beautiful.

The crypt is truly bizarre. The local order began to run out of space in their cemetery, and also were moving their location. So an unknown monk took the skeletons of monks from their cemetery and created art using the bones in the new crypt. It is supposed to make you reflect on the beauty of death and the resurrection. But honestly I'm not sure it does that; it is really just morbidly cool and creepy.





Levi says he will never forget the smell there! I sure hope Levi J doesn't have nightmares tonight, although he didn't seem too frightened. Quintana kept yelling "Bones! Bones!" while we were there, haha.

I did like a quote that was in the crypt, which said: "What you are now, we once were; what we are now, you shall be."

No comments:

Post a Comment